The Word On The Street believes in promoting and encouraging literacy and a love of reading from the youngest possible age. This year, TD KidStreet, sponsored by TD Bank Group will feature a fantastic blend of children’s author programming and family-friendly activities including the TVOKids Stage, the TD Children’s Literature Tent, the Children’s Activity Tent and the TD Interactive Storybook.
Venues and attractions at TD Kidstreet include:
- Live at the TVOKids Stage, kids can help Ranger Kara welcome some new Reading Ranger recruits, meet some of the stars and creators from TVOKids’ new show Annedroids, join in the fun and games in Gisèle’s Big Backyard, and see special musical guests The Samba Squad, Arianna Gillis and AnimalKyngdom, as well as award-winning puppeteer Ali Eisner. Families can stop by the Reading Rangers tents, inspired by town of Docville, for fun activities and the chance to win great prizes. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for Polkaroo!
- The TD Children’s Literature Tent will feature much-loved authors Frances Itani, Kenneth Oppel, Helaine Becker, Michael Redhill and more! CBC will present the shortlist for the 2014 TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award, and readings from the nominated books. Middle-grade fiction highlights include Lesley Livingston, Richard Scrimger and Claudia Dávila.
- Receive a free copy of Doors in the Air by author David Weale and illustrator Pierre Pratt. Their book is this year’s TD Grade One Book Giveaway which will be given to every Canadian grade one student this fall and which is presented by the Canadian Children’s Book Centre at this year’s festival.
- Sharpen your pencils and head to the Children’s Activity Tent for drawing with Cary Fagan, and a lesson on “How to Create a Character,” with Brian McLachlan and OWL Magazine editor Kim Cooper. Join Rachelle Delaney to learn dog tricks (furry friends are encouraged to attend!). Get ready for warm-up exercises with Olympic gymnast Jessica Tudos. Joel Sutherland leads a spooktacular ghosthunting lesson and interactive campfire story. Discover how ecosystems work with award-winning author Karen Patkau, and celebrate Toronto’s famous sites and residents (including squirrels!) with crafts led by Paul Covello.
- At the TD Interactive Storybook, attendees can get their picture taken for free inside a giant, 12-foot storybook.
- Be sure to visit TD KidStreet’s Marketplace, filled with amazing authors, books, publishers and kid-friendly organizations, including Annick Press, Fitzhenry & Whiteside, Mabel’s Fables Bookstore, Scholastic Canada, and the Children’s Book Bank.
For more details about TD KidStreet programming, families can pick up a TD KidStreet Festival Guide in Toronto bookstores and select downtown Starbucks locations, and at any of The Word On The Street’s five Information booths on festival day, Sunday, September 21. The guide is designed and produced by Owlkids, publisher of Chirp, ChickaDEE and OWL Magazine. The WEBview, digital edition of the guide will be available on The Word On The Street’s website in September.