Job Opportunity – Event Coordinator
*Applications for this position are now closed*
The Word On The Street Toronto champions reading and writing in Canada through a free festival celebrating stories, ideas, and imagination. We are seeking a personable, detail-oriented events specialist to join our small but mighty team.
The Event Coordinator will effectively coordinate exhibitor relations and event production for our annual festival and year-round events. This position reports to the Festival Director and works in collaboration with other staff to develop short- and long-term strategies for The Word On The Street festival, which attracts thousands to Toronto each September for Canada’s largest outdoor book fair.
This is a full-time position with possibility for renewal on an annual basis. Performance reviews will be conducted after three and six months in the role. An employee benefits plan is available after three months. A small budget for professional development is also available. The compensation for this position is $36,000-39,000 per year. This position requires some evening and weekend work in the lead-up to and execution of special events.
- Develop promotional materials and communications documents for exhibitors and advertisers including exhibitor marketplace sales package and electronic newsletters
- Reach out to prospective exhibitors, respond to inquiries and registrations, update contact database, and manage follow-up communications including confirmations, invoicing, and logistics packages
- Coordinate exhibitor and advertising sales, engaging in negotiation and dispute resolution as necessary with current and potential clients
- Assign vendors to booth locations, ensuring optimal booth placement to achieve internal goals while fulfilling the expectations of sponsors, partners, and exhibitors
- Provide regular sales reports and exhibitor marketplace updates to Festival Director
Production and Logistics
- Execute critical paths and logistics plans to achieve all event deliverables
- Work with Festival Director to ensure that event production is on budget and on track with critical path timelines
- Update and maintain the accuracy of mapping, signage, and logistics for exhibitors and sponsors, and facilitate proactive communication with festival staff and partners
- Work with the Festival Director and Programming Coordinator to confirm programming logistic needs and populate related documents and venue layouts
- Liaise with venue staff to populate and update production-tracking documents relating to requirements of event programming, exhibitors, sponsors, and partners such as signage, A.V., electrical, tents, linens, and other production rentals
- Coordinate contracts with suppliers, prepare permit applications, and ensure compliance with applicable health and safety regulations as required
- Preparation of logistics documents including Emergency Action Plan, VIP Parking List, and Site Map
- Support the execution of ancillary programming, VIP lounge logistics and guest list tracking, fundraising campaigns, and new partner outreach
- Coordinate the annual volunteer program including recruitment, screening, training, scheduling, and communications with approximately 250 onsite volunteers
- Provide Festival Director with all required information to complete post-event reports and communications to funders and other stakeholders
- Provide feedback and support to the organization’s strategic planning process
- Answers phones and provides excellent customer service in conversations and correspondence with WOTS stakeholders and members of the public
- Support distribution of festival marketing materials throughout Toronto and the GTA and help to develop other promotional activities
- Support other administrative coordination related to the festival and supporting events
- Record and distribute meeting minutes
- Maintain records and filing systems in accordance with WOTS practices
Assets & Qualifications
- Passion for books, magazines, and other writing published in Canada in French or English
- Relevant education and/or professional experience in event coordination, customer service, volunteer management, or related fields
- Organized self-starter with an ability to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, revise plans, and document the process and results
- Excellent verbal communication skills including experience responding to stakeholders in a prompt and professional manner
- Strong professional writing, copy editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail (experience with event budgets and critical paths an asset)
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize tasks according to urgency
- Ability to monitor activities and proactively address issues to mitigate risks
- Experience managing volunteers, including recruitment, training, and coordination
- Exceptional team player capable of interacting effectively with a wide range of individuals
- Professional- and service-oriented attitude that demonstrates tact and diplomacy
- Ability to listen and adjust to feedback
- Written and oral proficiency in French would be an asset
Applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter outlining their interest in this position to email@example.com by January 20, 2020. Please reference Job#20EC in the subject line of your email.
The Word On The Street welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. We are committed to accommodating applicants’ needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code throughout the selection process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org you need accommodation.
Interviews will begin in January. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.