- 2019 Festival
- NEW in 2019!
- Book of the Month
- Get Involved
- Support Us
- WOTS Blog
- About Us
Stay updated on the latest festival news, book reviews, and more!
April 1, 2015
Great news! The Word On The Street is seeking a Programming Assistant (Intern) to assist the Festival Director in coordinating the artistic program of the 2015 Festival.
If this opportunity interests you, read on for more details:
Programming Assistant (Internship)
The Word On The Street Toronto
Location: Toronto, ON
Web site: www.thewordonthestreet.ca
Deadline for applicants: April 14th, 2015
Date posted: April 1st, 2015
About The Word On The Street
The Word On The Street Toronto, is Canada’s largest annual book and magazine festival; taking place in September each year, it now attracts over 220,000 booklovers to downtown Toronto. One of our city’s best and most popular events—featuring a lively exhibitor marketplace, top-notch author readings and quality family programming—The Word On The Street Toronto is a non-profit organization that celebrates Canadian reading and writing, and advocates literacy.
As The Word On The Street Toronto moves to its new site at Harbourfront Centre, we are looking for a Programming Assistant to support the Festival Director with coordinating the artistic program of the event.
This is a full-time volunteer internship, running from May through the end of September.
Monthly honourarium for this internship is $1,000 ($5,000 in total).
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Liaise with publicists, presenters, performers and hosts
• Maintain a database with up-to-date and accurate programming information; ensure author/book submissions are processed accurately and in a timely manner
• Facilitate the creation and mailing of all artist invitations and scheduling confirmations/festival day information letters
• Gather content for Festival Program (artwork, headshots, bios, book descriptions)
• Coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements for all pertinent authors
• Prepare comprehensive event tent binders
• Create detailed sales lists to ensure all required book titles are stocked by the Official Booksellers
• Draft and proofread programming content for Festival Programs, Toronto Star Festival Guide and website
• Create programming-related press releases, and media kits
• Contribute written content for a bi-monthly e-newsletter, festival blog and Twitter page
• Support the Festival Director with management of festival-day programming
• Must be currently enrolled in college or university education in the arts with a demonstrated interest in Canadian writing and publishing
• Highest level of attention to detail
• Exemplary interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing, copy editing, proofreading skills
• Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize tasks according to urgency
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
• Positive attitude and willingness to learn
• You must also be a mature-minded, confident, team player, who is able to maintain a sense of humour in a fast paced environment
• **Must be available the entire festival weekend (September 26th and 27th, 2015)**
If interested, please forward your cover letter and resume, in confidence, by April 14th, 2015, to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only successful internship candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls.